When it comes to giving the geek in your life gifts, we at OneLogin have a lot of experience. Many of us would be considered geeks or live with someone who would be considered a geek. So, in honor of Valentine’s Day, we thought we would share our top 7 favorite gifts.
- A Welcome Mat with “There’s No Place Like 127.0.0.1” or “There’s No Place Like ::1.” In case you were wondering what 127.0.0.1 or ::1 mean, they mean “Home” in terms of how a computer looks at itself. Computers are identified by what we call IP addresses and 127.0.0.1 and ::1 are always how a computer identifies itself. The 127.0.0.1 is the older still more common version of IPV4 and the ::1 is the newer IPV6 version. So you can see how this would be amusing to those who work with computers a lot.
You can find places that actually have “There’s No Place Like 127.0.0.1” printed on door mats, but in order to get the “There’s No Place Like ::1” door mat you would have to get that custom printed, which nowadays isn’t much more than a preprinted mat.
- Custom Arcade Game Machine. Mainstream Video Game Systems from XBox, Playstation and Nintendo are usually a win. It is often hard to give these systems as gifts because gaming enthusiasts are often the first in line to purchase the systems when they are released. Your job is then to bring the hot chocolate to them while they wait in line. But an old fashioned standing Arcade Machine is unique and fun. And not something they would automatically go out and get.
You could purchase an actual machine that is used in an arcade OR there are handy folks out there that can give you the shell of a regular arcade machine with a bunch of games loaded into it running off of a computer. These are on the pricier end. Think, at minimum, a couple of grand.
- 3D Resin Printer. When 3D printers first became somewhat affordable it was incredibly exciting to be able to print whatever you could dream up. The thrill, unfortunately, faded over time because the plastic pieces that were generated, though they were incredibly exciting to create, were not all that exciting to keep.
Nowadays you can purchase 3D liquid resin printers. The quality of the object printed is so much better and you can get one for less than the old plastic based models cost.
- Custom Bobble Head. If you didn’t know, you can send a photo of someone into particular places and they can manufacture a bobblehead of the person in the photo. These are fun to hide around the office or just entertaining when they are sitting around next to you.
There are quite a few folks out there that can make custom bobbleheads for you. The low end price used to be around sixty bucks, but recently some manufacturers are advertising them at twenty-five dollars. Make sure the head actually bobbles, and you aren’t just purchasing a small statue. The bobble is key.
- Remote Controlled Anything Especially with a Video Feed. Flying drones with cameras in them are fun, but be careful about local ordinances. Certain areas have restrictions as to where you can fly these devices. The Nintendo Switch has a new offering in this category, Mario Kart Live. It is a remote controlled car with a camera. Basically, you can race around the house controlling the car with your Switch and see the racer’s point of view from the video screen. It is both a fun game and a great way to scare the people you live with.
There are certainly a ton of remote controlled things out there, but the camera with a live video feed is key. Usually, the addition of a camera means it will cost about $100 dollars or more.
- A Persona Faraday Bag. A faraday bag protects the devices within it from electromagnetic fields. Thus, you can put your phone in it and feel secure that it can’t be hacked via WiFi, cellular networks or bluetooth. Great for conventions where there are a lot of tech folks around and clever hackers are ready to pounce.
There are a lot of vendors that sell these types of bags and the prices simply differ depending on the size.
- Keystroke-Encrypted Keyboards. In case you weren’t aware, wireless keyboards are susceptible to being hacked. If you are thinking of getting a fancy new keyboard for your loved one, make sure it is keystroke-encrypted and capable of downloading updates.
It is sometimes hard to find presents for those that you love. Either you have a hard time figuring out what they would like or they habitually just go out and get what they want. Hopefully, these items can give you some ideas to go off of. Our best advice is go for unique items they wouldn’t really get for themselves.